Thread: Speculation: Trade Targets (Part II)
View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 03:56 PM
do0glas

vCash: 500
The biggest mistake we made on the burns trade is that we didnt have 7 top six forwards anymore.

so you run into the same problem we had before the burns trade if you move boyle.

unless the return is a top 6 forward, we cant really negotiate i dont think. we dont really threaten from our third line, nor do we have fill ins that can actually do damage with top 6 minutes.

so you either

A. fully convert burns back to forward and go with status quo.
B. move burns back to D, move boyle for a top six forward and prospect (least favorable)
C. keep boyle, promote demers to the second pairing long term, keep burns at forward and move clowe/murray for one higher tier top 6 and transition back to pavs at 3c

couture-jt-burns
new forward-marleau-havlat
wingels-pavs-sheppard
desi-burish-galiardi

boyle/irwin
stuart/demers
vlasic/braun
petrecki

or
boyle/stuart
vlasic/demers
irwin/braun
petrecki

personally I like option C.

we could also keep clowe as the seto role, but i think he has bottomed out as a truly effective player in todays NHL. and lining him up with pavelski will likely negate any benefit from that third line in terms of zone time and defensive ability.

so to recap: I say, keep burns as a forward. move clowe and murray. promote demers long term and see what he can do.

if boyle is our only tradeable asset right now, the return has to be a top six forward or a potential #1D (burns in top six). burns can still operate as PP QB, as well as pavelski, we lose some of that one man break out ability, but demers and braun are both capable, just stunted due to poor management.

do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote