View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 03:19 PM
ChesterNimitz

vCash: 500
I have had the privilege of being a fan since the early 1950's and attended many games and watched all of the greatest players of their respective eras. What is interesting, is the moments and events that left an indelible impression in my memory: Marcel Bonin's retirement to become a police officer (the team presented him with a bullet proof vest); the feel and sound of the broken glass when walking on St. Catherine's Street the morning after the Richard riot; Larry Robinson's open ice hit on Anton Stastny (I could actually feel the force of the collision from my seat); Henri Richard's fight with Vic Hadfield (Richard won); Al Sims open ice hit on Yvan Cournoyer (I think that this hit started Cournoyer's physical decline); the 1971 Playoff run when the team beat Boston, Minnesota and then Chicago (the city was in a frenzy particularly after Henri Richard called Al McNeil the worst coach he had ever played for); Bobby Hull skating wide on Laperriere and beating Charlie Hodge with a slap shot that still hasn't stopped; Patrick Roy's first exhibition game against the Oilers (they killed us); Lafleur scoring on Meloche with the hardest shot I have ever seen; John Ferguson stalking and then attacking Ted Green (you could see the fear in Green's eyes) and the grace of Jean Beliveau ( I was in New York in the late 1970's attending a Rangers /Montreal game when suddenly the fans around me stood and started to applaud. Beliveau had walked into the building. I don't think New Yorkers would have been that polite if the President had entered.

That is all.

Last edited by ChesterNimitz: 03-22-2013 at 09:55 PM.
ChesterNimitz is offline   Reply With Quote