View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 03:31 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlflamesfan View Post
If for some reason Iginla thought Vancouver would be his best shot at the cup, then fine but I do not see it this year. It would still be odd to see Iginla in any other jersey, let alone a Canuck jersey. A deal with the Canucks would have to be done very carefully as to make sure the Calgary fans do not completely give up on management. The deal would HAVE to make Canuck fans feel upset about losing certain prospects for me to be alright with it. I get Kassian is off limits, but believe they would have to add something significantly more to make the deal happen.
I personally don't believe that Iginla would ever be dealt to the Canucks. His value in a trade is limited by the fact that he's a rental, and not a young one at that, and his game is clearly on the downside. Given that value, I can't believe that you could get a significantly better deal from the Canucks than you would from another team, and that's why I don't see him going to Vancouver.

But I think Flames fans need to give up the notion they'll get a significant asset for Iginla from any team. Just never happens with rental players. From the Canucks the best asset they'd give up IMO is Gaunce - and that's an asset that other teams can easily match, making it very unlikely the Flames would ship him to Vancouver. I don't think that guys like Kassian or Hansen would ever be considered in a deal for a rental... I doubt even Jensen would be included in such a deal.

Just look at the comparable deals for rental players. That's what Iginla is likely to return.

My guess is that if he's dealt (a huge if), it's to an Eastern team. Pittsburgh would be my guess... assets like Maata and a 1st seem logical here. The Pens have a solid cupboard of talented defense prospects and I could easily see them shipping one out for a guy like Iginla. Bennett however is a pipedream IMO.