View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Sens Mile

vCash: 500
The Puzzling Question On What To Do With Sergei Gonchar-Contract Extension Edition

Hey guys,

Just want to get your opinions on how the Senators should handle Sergei Gonchar. Now while this season, in all liklihood, will not be our year for the cup a question remains on what pieces we should retain moving foward into the 2013-2014 season. In my opinion, if the majority of the team is health, we are not too far away from making a serious cup run contingent on another top center and a top six winger.

Now Gonchar has been a real blessing for the past two years, creating a versitile back end which has been a strength for the Senators organization. He has an expiring contract at 5.5 million dollars coming up though, so the question remains on what the organization should do with him.

In the past Murray has not been afraid to sign players to extensions in season (Craig Anderson) so I was curious if the Sens will risk leaving extension talk until post-season or if they will let Gonchar play the season out(and potentially lose him post-playoffs).

Another real question becomes the term and the money, I am sure a team like Pittsburgh would pony up better dollars than we could provide at this point.

Feel free to chime in guys

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote