Thread: Speculation: 2013 NHL Entry Draft
View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 04:45 PM
JPG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I'm sorry, but you believe there is correlation simply through nationality? Nichushkin and Kozlov were born in what is regarded to be the same state. That is all.

Proven anything? As opposed to all the other top prospects available who have? We're drafting 17/18 year old players based on projections.

The anti-Russian sentiments displayed by so many North Americans is so bizarre and ignorant. If you've watched Nichushkin and are skeptical based on his play, and whether he has the intelligence to go with the tools, fine ... but his passport has nothing to do with how he plays hockey.
OK maybe I should elaborate my point - that he is unproven. And yes, that tends to apply to Russian prospects because they play alot less games than North American prospects. That's not ignorance, that is fact.
He only scored 2 points in 6 games in the world juniors. He's played a total of thirty games in the KHL scoring 12 points. I'm sorry, you want to spend the top draft pick on a guy who's only played enough to score 14 points in his career? (he does have some underage stuff but I don't think that is worth much to extrapolate to NHL).

Compare that to Mackinnon: 181 points in 119 games in the QMJHL, 1 point in 6 games in world juniors.
That's just one player, but the fact is players from Russia in particular play less games and have less exposure. While you CAN have a player that pans out, I find that many times they are overhyped because it is an 18 year old kid who is 6 ft 2 200 lbs and people like the size and possibilities without being able to do enough scouting on them. We have seen many amazing "practice" players that can show off for a scout but can't do anything when it counts. On the other hand, NCAA and CHL players have alot more games to show for themselves and one can make an educated decision.

Finally, please don't make assumptions about me - I don't appreciate you insinuating that I am ignorant. I do plenty of reading and research. I don't claim to be a scout by any means, just a passionate fan. I do appreciate the fact that it struck a chord since I said he was Russian, but hopefully I explained myself why I said that.