View Single Post
03-21-2013, 04:47 PM
This is not my hat.
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
The way that college coaches have pitched it, it would be for a skater leaving his feet to block a shot. The standing block and a sliding block (on a 2-on-1, taking away the pass) would remain, but skaters basically acting like mobile butterfly goalies would be outlawed.

From my perspective, the improvements in equipment over the years have taken away the "sacrifice" and "heart" involved in blocking shots. It's become the lowest common denominator; 99% of players do it well, which is a pretty good indicator that it's less of a skill than it used to be.

To me, it would be like legalizing pass interference in football. If there's a defensive player who can't contain a receiver, just pull him's basically a talentless play that suffocates the offense without repercussion.

Blowing the play dead and having a faceoff would actually serve as an incentive to engage in the most boring play in hockey.
I'm a little confused by "leaving his feet." Wouldn't laying on the ice to block a pass technically be leaving your feet? Also, what is someone gets tripped up and falls? If it were a penalty, I can see opposing players trying to hit fallen players with the puck in an attempt to draw a penalty.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote