View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 04:55 PM
MiscBrah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
It may depend on Gonchar, if he wants a two yr deal than I don't think I would do that. But if he would settle for a one yr deal then I would consider it at a reduced salary. I expect that it will take anywhere from half a season to a yr for Ceci to be NHL ready & assume that 2nd pairing right side spot. Unless there is a trade made for a defenceman who can assume that position I think that it's Ceci spot whenever he is ready to take it & he seems like he is getting close now.

Next yr Cowen & Karlsson should be ready to assume their top 4 positions, Methot will likely play with Karlsson again. Wiercioch & Gryba could be permanent players in Ottawa & Phillips will still have another yr on his contract. Now Murray could decide to also keep Boroweicki in Ottawa & not re-sign Gonchar but Gonchar is playing so well right now that he may be forced into keeping him. It's almost like the Kuba debate last yr except that Gonchar has been much more effective in producing points than Kuba. My guess is Murray signs Gonchar for one yr or Gonchar walks because someone else has offered him two yrs or more just like Kuba.
Ceci is still playing in the OHL...is he not? There is no way that a kid steals a spot from any of Ottawa's defense right now. He's going to have to battle his way in and it won't be "half a season".

If Gonchar keeps up this level of play or close to it for the rest of the season I would not be against signing him for a 2 year contract. You guys need to remember that Cowen and Karlsson won't be returning as the stellar players they used to be. Severe injuries like their's take a year to fully get over. Don't expect either Cowen or Karlsson to have good seasons next year. I expect both will be struggling for most the season.

We also can't overlook the intangibles that Gonchar brings to the game, experience and guidance. I believe he's a big part of the reason that Karlsson was able to dominate so quickly. It's invaluable having a seasoned veteran like Gonchar to develop the younger players.

I also don't agree that a team like Pittsburgh can offer him more money that we can. They have a ton of money tied up in a few key players. We have all the cap space in the world.

MiscBrah is offline   Reply With Quote