View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Esa 10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Different strokes I guess.

My point is that Boyle isn't going to be around very much longer. Unless all the other flaws (lack of 1C who plays like a 1C, lack of any sort of offensive talent in the bottom 6) can be fixed to a degree by the time this regular season ends, I wouldn't depend on someone so old to address the D problem, which is, IMO, the smallest of this team's issues.
I agree with this. Brad Richards is the #1 issue on this team, followed by a dreadful 3rd line. Pyatt and Boyle are the main culprits here, but having a raw rookie finding his way doesn't help. They'd be fine as 4th liners, but no team with as many big contracts as NYR can afford to have guys making $1.75 mill. down there in a cap world.

Dan Boyle is still a top 4 D in NHL. However, this team's D at even strength can live without him once Staal is healthy and this team has much more pressing issues. In theory, most of his value would come in reviving the PP.
I'm beginning to have doubts though, any collection of players can be super successful on the PP with this coaching staff. Didn't Torts admit they don't run real set-ups 5 on 4, just tell players to move their feet and be creative? That's no way to have a successful PP in the current NHL regardless of Boyle's big shot from the point.