View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 05:38 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BULKinen View Post
To me Barkov is a bigger and stronger but slower and less intense version of Mikko Koivu.

The hype is getting ridiculous. Even Mikael Granlund didn't get this much hype in his draft year (and he had a better ppg average than Barkov has).
MG wasn't the player Barkov is now. He was sheltered, wasn't there on every situation, didn't look better than NHLers etc.

Quote:
Skating is a huge issue for Barkov even though Finnish Barkov-fanboys like thomast would never admit it. It was clearly visible at WJC. Barkov was useless 5 on 5 because he just couldn't keep up. He will never be fast or explosive, he'll be below average at best. His father Barkov senior was the same, slow like a sloth, so it's genetic. He isn't NHL-ready either, he must improve his skating and it's not like he dominated the SM-liiga this year anyway so at least 1 more year in Finland will do him good.
There are lot of NHLers doing well though they look like they can't skate for their lives.

The issues with skating has been discussed ad nauseum in this thread (and the previous). It isn't elite now, and probably never will be. But it doesn't prevent Barkov from becoming elite player. It's not that bad imo.

Few kids at 17 and over 200 lbs and 63 are elite skaters.

Barkov has improved a lot he's skating over the past year and I think he has potential to improve still.

Imo he dominated this year, he really did.

For the record, If I had to bet money on it, I think he'll be 70-80 point player with Selke level D. Not superstar but great player.