View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Your also assuming that you will never see friends and family again. If this is the start of a colony, there very well could be couples going together, the creation of families. Also after 8 years of training, these people are likely going to be friends as they will not want to send individuals with huge conflicts off on this mission.

Mars will have to be explored, so I don't see how they will be locked in a pod. They will likely be able to come and go as they please, or as their work requires. Sure it's not the same as being on Earth but it is really a false or incomplete analogy to compare it to being in jail.

A person does not decide to go to jail, they will decide to go on this mission.
Problem is it doesn't really sound like a colony in what I think you mean by colony.

And lets say it was - IDK, if it was the start of an attempt to make Mars habitable and lead by the major world powers - I'd consider going. Hell even if it was a whole bunch of companies who wanted to put up the money, resources - I'd consider it.

I mean I may live/work in cramped quarters and a full spacesuit but I know my work will mean future generations on Mars won't. That is something I can get behind.

But even if it was a legitimate colony (I don't think what the OP linked to is) - that wouldn't be my thing - it sounds like it would be cramped living/working with no plan for the future. Exploring Mars, walking on Mars may sound good but I doubt it would be that fun to me.

Ether Prodigy is online now   Reply With Quote