View Single Post
Old
08-04-2006, 02:14 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
I think Hockey Night in Canada becoming a Toronto-centric show really upset a lot of Montreal fans, but that has nothing to do with the Leafs.

The fact that Toronto has played a tough, sometimes dirty style also comes into it. But I think what frustrates me most is that Montreal has had a soft team for so long. So that has nothing to do with the Leafs either.

As for arrogant fans, I think Montreal fans can match anyone for that anywhere (probably myself included). When a dynasty is in decline, you tend to get nasty. A lot of us were used to winning, then it was all taken away and we DON'T LIKE IT - especially when it wasn't necessary and only happened through gross mismanagement.

Also, there is a perceived referee bias against the Habs every time we play the Leafs. Bruins fans believe we get the edge over them (which I tend to agree with). One of the posters did a statistical comparison on here that seemed to prove this, but that sort of thing can become a self-fulfilling prophesy. The Leafs players certainly have a reputation for whining even though they have played such a dirty style of hockey, which is also resented by other fans.

All that said, there's nothing I look forward to more than playing the Leafs and Bruins. The Senators bore me.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote