View Single Post
03-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff
vCash: 500
Wisconsin 7, Minnesota State Mankato 2

Today's game was a solid all around effort by the Badgers and IMO, it was probably the best game they've played on the season (and I've seen a lot of Wisconsin games this year). The two things that really stood out to me were their ability to capitalize on the Mavericks mistakes, particularly in the first period and the Badgers' shot-blocking. Rumpel wasn't spectacular, but he was good when he needed to be and you can't ask much more from your goalie. It was nice to see someone other than Mersch potting the goals for Wisconsin. I thought Tyler Barnes and especially Jefferson Dahl (who nearly got the hat trick) played extremely well. If the Badgers can continue to play the way they did today the rest of the way, then they have a real good shot at winning the Final Five.

On the flip side...

The Mavericks may be out of the Final Five, but they still have a very good shot at making the NCAA Tournament due to their PWR. However, Mankato isn't as concerned about the loss to the Badgers as they are of losing Williams and Zuck to injuries today. Williams, who suffered a head injury after Barnes' knee hit him upside the head as he was driving to the net and scored. Later in the game, Zuck suffered what looked like an ankle injury. Both are huge losses for the Mavericks and the team certainly won't be the same in the NCAA Tournament without them, especially Williams.