View Single Post
Old
03-21-2013, 10:08 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel diamond View Post
I'll own up to being somewhat pro-war in 2003. I believed Canada had made the wrong decision in not joining the American-led coalition, and even though I did not truly see the necessity of the war I believed many of the WMD claims and thought that we would be better off participating in a short conflict to hold the line with our allies. I was wrong then, and it astounds me that there are still people out there who haven't realized that they were wrong for supporting the Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld deception.
Pretty much the same for me. I wasn't interest in Canada joining since the majority of the country was already against it and we were pulling plenty of weight in Afghanistan already (we don't exactly have a military that can deploy in multiple countries), but with the 'facts' presented as they were I certainly wasn't against the American's going in.

I was pretty damn busy at the time in college though up to my neck in programming assignments so I wasn't really paying that close attention to it. Throughout high school I had a great Social Studies/History teacher, when the Kosovo crisis was in the news he had us do an assignment where we watched American news then researched some Serbian news outlets online and write a report comparing the differences. He always emphasized that with these things you have to look at both sides of the story and try to filter out bias, something I took away as a life lesson, but never had the time to do my due diligence for my opinion leading up to the Iraq war.

Not that my opinion would matter for anything, but it would have prevented me from feeling dirty in hindsight when the truth started to come out.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote