Old
03-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
He'll be bought out in the off season. I don't see the point of trying to trade someone who has negative value.
Well, there's plenty of point in _trying_ to trade him. It will cost Mr. Molson $3M to buy him out in June. I'm sure Mr. Molson would rather see him traded, therefore.

I still think he is getting a bit of an unfair rap from many Habs fans, however (and that then spills over to other non-Habs fans who read that). He was a bit sluggish last year, but still scored at a reasonable clip. But he looks quicker this year. He could still be a viable poor-man's power-play QB if you were stuck for one, IMHO. He moves the puck well enough. His shortcoming is really only in terms of being too soft in his own zone. Habs have never had the right pairing to shelter him on. But maybe some other team could.

I doubt anybody would have a problem with Kaberle if he was in your lineup, playing 15-18 mins in sheltered matchups, PP time, no PK, and with a solid physical D partner. Well, and he was earning about $1.75M instead of $4.25M.

Habs have all the PP guys they need, however. And all the soft guys they can manage. So Kaberle can't play this year. And the staff seems to like the idea of keeping a strict L/R split, so when Markov, Gorges, and Bouillon are healthy, they don't seem to want to move Kaberle to RD. But it's also a good time for the Habs to audition their future defense, given there isn't much pressure to win on the Habs right now.

I don't think teams with openings for a PMD should shy away from Kaberle based on his ability, anyway. He can play. Enough. But it's certainly very reasonable to shy away from him on $$$. It's real money to teams, and whether you look at it as paying him $3M more than he deserves next season, or as the $3M buyout money, then I don't know how many teams who might be in the market for a depth PMD would want to lose $3M in the bargain.

At the same time, Habs have pretty good revenues and it's really not _that_ much of an issue to just buy him out in the summer, so I don't see them making any negative value trades or holding any money back on the cap.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote