Thread: Buying a DSLR
View Single Post
Old
03-22-2013, 10:34 AM
guinness
those were the days

vCash: 500
Nikon has better sensors ATM IMO, Canon has been using the same 18 MP sensor for generations (3-4 years by now), even their newly announced SLR's (T5i and SL1) use the same sensor that the 7D used in 2009.

MP really aren't that important, but SLR's are a lot like computers - the electronics improves (faster AF, more points, higher ISO capability), and it really shows in low light.

Personally, I would go with Nikon at this point, probably the D5100, or if money permitted, the D7100, or one of the Sony NEX cameras, like the 6 or 7, as those have great sensors and fast AF and burst modes (good for fast action).

I shoot with Pentax, and they're good for things like weather sealing, bigger VF's, and if you like using primes (and can afford their Limiteds). The K5 and K30 are probably two of the nicer cameras at their price bracket, but there just aren't the number of AF lenses available for K mount as there are for C&N. Glass will end up being the most expensive aspect once you outgrow the kit lens, and it gets to be an expensive habit.

guinness is online now   Reply With Quote