View Single Post
Old
03-22-2013, 11:02 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
I don't know how Nichushkin feels either, but at this point and as far as we all know, he has made no actions that would indicate that he wants to come to North America, which is why some people are concerned. I'm not saying that he is for certain staying in Russia, and he may very well be planning to come over. All I am saying is that at this time it is reasonable to consider it as a risk, however small.
Then the risk is the same as with Barkov, Lindholm and other European players? Since we do not know their intentions, we can assume there is minimal risk that they do not come over.

Of course i'm being a tad facetious, since this is a discussion framed within Russian misconceptions and anxities. Still, there isn't a ton of evidence to show that as a rule, Russian elite players are difficult to get over. So ...

Quote:
The AHL may not be a good place for a Russian prospect, but it is a good place to learn the North American game. If a Russian player refuses to play in the AHL, then that to me is a negative. The fact that Filatov did not have to stick with playing it out in the AHL because he had the KHL as a fallback option is exactly my point. There is flight risk, because there are other options for them.
This is a different discussion, and i won't go into it in this thread. I'd only end up ranting.

Yes, the flight risk is definitely something that needs to be factored in. It's actually the bigger problem, by far. This is where player development comes in. Some organisations excel in it. Some don't.

Quote:
The question is not pointless because teams do have to evaluate all aspects when selecting a prospect. Whether or not a prospect may not even play for them IS something that needs to be evaluated. Whether this means figuring out if a player may not come to North America or whether a play just abhors your team, you have to figure it into the equation.

I actually think the Russian risk has generally been overblown, but to simply disregard it and not factor it into our drafting decisions is simply negligent.
The question is pointless because it is framed within a set of incredibly unrealistic parameters. Indeed, these set list of rules can be manipulated to get more and more ridiculous, until it really isn't a question worth asking yourself.

What you're discussing is character homework. This is pretty important. If you don't like the character, don't draft him. If he seems flakey, don't draft him. Filatov IMO played a large part in his downfall. Columbus didn't manage him very well, but also didn't do a very good job of realising this might happen.

I've yet to see anybody give any competent argument to counter the idea that getting elite Russian players over to North America is an issue. You may have to wait an extra or two, for various reasons, but then as Craig Button says on one of his recent podcasts, your drafting an NHL career, not who can achieve the fastest erection.