View Single Post
Old
03-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
You may be surprised. 19 year old legs can be very valuable in the PO.

Not a tough spot for Bergy at all. No one expected Habs to make the PO this year. Bergy can make an OK deadline pickup, without giving up youth or picks, and go 1 or 2 rounds without shame. Maybe 3.

He's in a fantastic position. He has no need to win it all this year. Everyone knows this.

It is this summer and next year that the pressure will come. Expectations will be much higher.

I'm not really talking about the public expectations. I agree that this is a honeymoon period, and this season will be deemed a major success barring an utter collapse, and that next year will have very grand expectations. But it will be interesting to see how the team responds to those expectations because that can be tricky too.

But I'm talking more about the idea that this season could be as good as it gets for the habs under his watch. Sure, the team looks to have a bright future, but even if the team gets better on paper, it could be difficult to replicate a season like this. With that in mind, I think it does put MB in a bit of conundrum, and he has to make a decision if he wants to accelerate the "process" to make a run this year.

We will be able to gauge what route MB decides to take according to his aggressiveness at the deadline. Personally, I'd lean towards standing pat (no major additions) and letting the chips fall where they may, and my gut says that is exactly what will happen, but I'm just throwing out alternative thinking models.