View Single Post
Old
03-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
Different set of skills. Please, read what I wrote. The emphasis is on skating and speed now. As long as you have good wheels, you have a good chance to make it. You also blew off my goalie comments.
Good wheels and a willingness to work hard. It's becoming increasingly a grinder's game - only the average grinder has become a much more polished product by their 20s in today's environment. If you don't play like Crosby or Datsyuk (or Ovechkin in his hey day), you have to be Malkin or forget about even getting a mention in a "top players" conversation. I don't know if the current mantra is that hard work produces more than skill, or if it's the talent of players rounding out rosters that's forcing coaches to game plan around that principle. Undoubtedly the money on the line in today's game contributes to forcing teams into a more conservative approach, as well, hence part of the perceived notion that OT shouldn't be allowed to drag out during the regular season, and that shootouts should decide games instead.