View Single Post
Old
03-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Unless you're on a soft surface (note: snow is one), a modern ABS system will typically stop your car faster than locking up your tires.

Locking up your tires on a soft surface like snow or gravel can help stop your car because there will be a build up of material in front of the tires that helps slow the car.

Nevermind that once your tires lock up, the possibility of your car inducing a spin goes up as well.

I have only had a car with ABS for two months now, but I greatly prefer it to my older car that didn't have it.
Just wait till you try to stop on glare ice sometime approaching an intersection. The single worst situation is slight loose snow cover on top of black ice. This seemingly confuses the threshold braking of the ABS system resulting in seemingly very little actual braking being applied. I once encountered a 150foot approach that was like curling ice and the ABS were doing nothing. They weren't properly sensing that the vehicle was not stopping. I had to steer into snow pack to slow the vehicle. I would've sailed 200feet right through the intersection. It seemed as if I had no brakes.

Never had this degree of difficulty stopping, only with ABS brakes which behave unpredictably with loose snow pack on top of glare ice. Conversely, when ABS senses clear exposed glare ice it performs well.

Not sure what it is that causes this specific problem. Theres beens several reports btw of the phenomenon I mention.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote