View Single Post
Old
03-22-2013, 03:29 PM
SephF
Visually Better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yet theres no conclusive substantiation that this is actually the case. More study is required to come to this conclusion.
Companies like Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental etc etc spend hundreds of millions of dollars on research and development every year. There are hundreds of tests you can look at that show winter tires reduce stopping distance drastically. A regular tire compound isn't meant for temperatures below -7 degrees Celsius. As soon as the temperature drops below that range the compound stiffens and your contact patch with the road is reduced which leads to less grip, worse breaking and more tire wear.

There are tons of studies, that's why it's against the law in certain places to drive without winter tires.

Quote:
I've never used snow tires. Except in some rent a cars. I've never had an accident in 25 yrs, I drive a huge amount, I'm never slip sliding over the road or out of control of my vehicle.

Please explain how I would be a safer driver with use of snow tires.
Stopping distance for one. What if you're stopped at a red light and some maniac is driving up behind you way too fast? You look in your mirror and see him sliding toward you. Naturally you'll want to pull forward, with all seasons you'll take longer to get traction and won't have as good of reaction time. With winters you'll get much more responsiveness from your vehicle.

Quote:
However I can see how an unskilled/inexperienced driver may benefit from snow tires just so you know I acknowledge that much. But I imagine theres a crossection of *greater handling and performance* drivers out there where snow tires just increase the risks taken.
It's funny, all season tires aren't even a thing in Europe. They don't exist. People have a set of summer tires, and a set of winters. The North American market created demand for an "all season" tire so manufacturers started making them. Any tire guy will tell you all season tires are garbage in the snow and most manufacturers aren't keen on the all-season market but create tires for it because there's a demand.

Like I said earlier there are places where it's literally illegal to drive in the winter without winter tires. There's a reason for that.

Non-winter tires aren't designed to be used in temperatures under -7 degrees Celsius.

Quote:
You stated specifically that snow tires increases safety. I merely stated in response there is no conclusive factual data substantiation of that.
They do forsure, it's not even a question.

source : I sell tires for a living and have gone to numerous seminars on winter tires specifically.

Last edited by SephF: 03-22-2013 at 03:35 PM.
SephF is offline   Reply With Quote