View Single Post
Old
03-22-2013, 02:51 PM
shoop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Sign or trade for a goalie to 'challenge' Dubnyk and we're back to the two-headed monster of Markannen and Conklin. Do you all remember that? It was a lot like this year is before we traded for Roloson, a proven starter.

So, however long we want to run this Dubnyk experiment it's going to end up with the same conclusion - We Need A Starter.

I thought Dubnyk would play well enough this year to put us near the playoffs. It's appearing that he has but at the same time it's becoming increasingly more obvious that he might not get us any farther.

A couple softies are expected, but we've seen one, two a game almost every game. I'm starting to think we need another solution. But I'm hoping for a proven starter and not another experiment.
Roli was far from a proven starter at the time the Oilers traded for him. He had been platooning with Fernandez for the previous two seasons and into the 2005-06 season. Fernandez was outplaying him at the time, which is why Roli was available.

At the time a lot of people thought a first and a third was a big overpayment. He played ok during the rest of that first regular season with the Oilers. Then he turned in a phenomenal run in the playoffs (damn you MAB).

The trade for Roloson was a gamble that worked out well. Hopefully, another such gamble gives the Oil the same result.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote