Thread: Speculation: 2013 NHL Entry Draft
View Single Post
Old
03-22-2013, 02:55 PM
JPG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I actually didn't mean that you were ignorant, rather it was a comment regarding a trend. You absolutely are ignorant in regards to youth hockey, but i didn't mean to offend you. Sorry.
I don't really want to quote your whole post because of too much spam. I don't think what I am saying is unreasonable and I don't know why you don't understand it. Regardless of what you are evaluating (hockey, etc), if you watch someone perform a skill once, compared to watching someone else perform that same skill several times, you have a better idea of how the person will do if you evaluated multiple instances. I don't know if you have taken any statistics courses but there is such a thing called "power" of data, which involves larger sample sizes. The smaller the sample size, the less reliable the data. What I am saying is that in Russia they play WAY LESS GAMES and combined with the fact that it is far and the games are spaced out, it is much harder to scout those players well. I know you will say that is why we have a scouting department. Well that costs money, and if they spend as much money on our scouts as they do on our players I would worry about relying on small sample sizes from players scouted far away (and that goes for both my own evaluation of the player as a fan, as well as the team scouts). A second point is that the 14 points I stated where when he actually hit real competition. I don't consider under 17 to be reliable data for NHL projection; maybe you do, thats your opinion. I'm done with this discussion though, we can agree to disagree if you want.