View Single Post
Old
03-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post

Martin was an admittedly strange pick, but I think his style of play is suited to international hockey. Smart plays (this year anyway) that are simple, good skating and strong positional defence. Reminds me a bit of Rafalski, and he often enjoyed disproportionate success internationally. I tried to balance RH and LH, but I don't think one off pairing is a big deal when it comes to elite defencemen. Yandle is a guy that I hate watching at even strength, and I suspect would be a bit liability at the Olympic level. USA already has very capable puck movers, but I can see an argument being made for him based on PP work. I considered that but went with J. Johnson for a few intangible reasons.
You may have been right Jack. An exclusive on USA Hockey's website.

http://usahockey.com/TeamUSA/Mens/Features/Martin.aspx

Courtesy of Chris Adamski of USA Hockey.:

Quote:
“Those [older players] had played 20 years, 15 years on USA teams, and it was always fun to watch them,” Martin said. “You just always assume that they’ll be there forever, but everyone gets a little older and now the last Olympics was kind of a passing of the torch.”
Quote:
It’s still a ways off, but it’s definitely something that, as far as loving that chance or being able to have an opportunity, I’d be grateful for it,” Martin said. “Being on the taxi squad in Italy and being able to be on the team but be injured for Vancouver, it was tough to take.

“Growing up playing on all the USA teams you realize how special it is and how much fun it is, and then not being able to participate is always tough, but it definitely made me a stronger player and person and I’m looking forward hopefully to the next Olympics, if they let us play, it’s something I would be glad to be a part of.”"