View Single Post
Old
03-22-2013, 04:39 PM
You 'Orns!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Kovalev was a good playoff performer here. In 1997, he was having his best season as a Ranger when he was slashed by John Maclean and it ended his season. Makes you wonder how far they would have gone if he was healthy for that run.

He was too inconsistent, but my fave Kovalev moment was his rookie season when he scored a hat trick to come back in the 3rd period to beat the Bruins right after Xmas.

And for people hating on 1994, the reason why people keep talking about it was IMO for the quality in play those last two rounds. The skill on display was incredible for all teams.

Even without the Cup, that was a tremendous NHL postseason. MON-BOS went 7 games, Hasek vs Brodeur, San Jose as an 8th seed knocking off Detroit. Vancouver coming back from 3-1 to beat Calgary, Washington finally beating Pittsburgh.

To me, it was the last great postseason before the Dead Puck era in terms of pure skill and even though it was the first season without the old division playoff system, you still ended up with huge rivalries in almost every round.
I remember when that happened. I was in college in DC, so Rangers games were harder for me to see, but that was the closest he got to playing consistent hockey as a Ranger. I don't think he would necessarily have hit the same heights as a Blueshirt as he did on the Penguins, but that was his best time as a Ranger in the regular season.

Perhaps it's good that the fans who don't remember '94 are tired of hearing about it, if it means they pressure this franchise to create new success, but almost every Ranger fan who was able to enjoy that season will cherish the memory until their final breath. It just really was that special. I'm sorry that some of you guys weren't able to experience it, but for the rest of us, it simply will never get old, no matter how many cloying specials MSG try to thrust in our faces.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote