View Single Post
Old
03-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Cup-winning teams didn't begin and end with Boston (thank god). But the real irony of using the Bruins as some kind of model is that their supposed toughness didn't win them a Cup. Great defense and goaltending did. Ask yourself this: If 'toughness' and size were such important qualities, why was their closest, toughest opponents the Habs? Why didn't we get steamrolled? And why was their easiest opponents - by far - the equally tough Flyers, who WERE steamrolled?

I'm not saying the Habs don't need more size - they do, especially on defense - but I think you're willing to sacrifice too much to get it. Gionta is more valuable than many people acknowledge, as is Desharnais. Gallagher's contribution goes without saying. Smart, skilled guys are harder to find than big, tough guys (yes, I know... but good luck finding both). Can the Habs win with what they've got? Yes. They've already beat everyone with what they've got. Would I like to add size? Yes. I'm dyin' to see Tinordi gain some experience and confidence, and can't wait to get a preview of him against Boston. Bourque's also got size and strength.

Luckily, it doesn't take perfection to win a Cup. No team has everything. But look at it objectively and you'll realize that right now the Habs have as much as almost any team in the frikkin league. Weird to say with a straight face, but it's true.
I agree with this, if we ned more size and toughness it's on the back end, unless we can get tough grinders/pests like Boll and/or Talbot to replace Moen and Armstrong who are in clear decline (picking up a goon is an option, but they'd play a fraction of the time meaning we would still need the hated Moen and Armstrong), but why is there such an obsession to mix up the formula when we are winning right now?

There's no shame in looking to the future - the Ryder trade had one eye on the off season, but Ryder also fulfilled a current need. If there was a way to replace Kaberle/Weber with a big defensive defender, great. But there's an obsession with change for the sake of change just because this team doesn't look like the Bruins.