View Single Post
Old
03-22-2013, 05:32 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Wrongo. If it's straight ice and everyone slows right down, everyone gets home safe. Your macho BS is far worse than people driving according to the conditions.

Hey SephF, is it safe to use winter tires in the summer in your opinion? We're talking maybe putting 5000 KMs on them on one summer season. I've heard it's not dangerous, and with the right winter tires you don't burn too much tread off of them.
It's fine but they create a lot more friction so you're going to burn through a lot more gas and you'll wear your tread out fast.

With our work trucks we keep winters on them year round (Hankook RW11's) and just replace them once a year at the start of winter (keep in mind we put a TON of KM's on these trucks a year, at least 50,000km).

In my opinion it's not worth doing it because you're going to go through your tires way faster and end up having to replace them sooner which will offset the savings.

Get a set of winters and have a set of summers, swap them at the appropriate time and you won't have to worry about replacing your tires for years and years and years. It's a higher upfront cost but you'll save money over the course of the life of your tires, especially if you're paying to get winters taken off / put on every season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
You lose some control with winters on in the dry months. They are made with metal studs to stick into the ice for better traction. The worse part is that you wear out the studs in summer and lose what you paid for in the first place by wearing out the studs. If you're going to invest in winter tires change them when the snow goes.
It's pretty rare that tires come from the factory studded, Gislaved Nord*Frosts do, that's all I know of. For the most part tires come pinned with stud holes and you just stud them yourself if you want them. A lot of models don't even come with stud holes... not every winter tire is studdable and there are even some non-winter tires that are studdable (usually mud-terrains)

My winter tires don't have studs at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
We have different perspectives on this which is fine. What I'm doing works for me and the vast majority of drivers in the prairie regions. I'm sure thats a huge source of concern for you in lost sales.

lets be clear here as well. YOU have vested interest in the discussion and thanks btw for disclosing that which I appreciate. I have no horses in this game. Just a different perspective.
hahah forsure buddy. It's just obvious that you'll have better control of your vehicle with winter tires.

I used to rock all seasons in the winter until I finally made the switch, I'll never go back again after experiencing the huge difference.

Not really concerned with lost sales because if you ride your all seasons year round you'll need to replace them faster anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
All season tires; commonly referred to in the auto industry as no season tires, because they suck in all conditions.
Yup, you got it. Tire manufacturers hate the term "all season" because it's very misleading.

Last edited by SephF: 03-22-2013 at 08:05 PM.
SephF is online now   Reply With Quote