View Single Post
03-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Darth Yoda
vCash: 931
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
I used to talk about being "more than the sum of its parts." Now I don't. Just watch some of the individual moves of Makarov, Krutov, and Kamensky: they were premier talents! Sure, they benefited from playing together, but it doesn't mean they were not superb players. Larionov, while not having the speed, the power, or the shot of the others, had superb vision, sense, and passing skills. In fact, in those aspects he was only a tad below Gretzky.

But, again: just like you all evaluate Eddie Shore against his peers in the 30s and deem him to be one of the best of all time, I believe it's perfectly legitimate to judge Makarov and others against their peers. Especially Makarov. His three Best Player Awards are second only to Tretiak's five (exceeding Krutov, Kharlamov, and Fetisov, each one with two).
Yeah, against his peers in Russia. Sure, he was their best skater if not Fetisov. How high they would be on an all-time list is another matter. Higher most of them, no doubt, but up at Trottier level? Doubtful, but sure make the case.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote