Thread: Confirmed Signing with Link: Andrej Sustr Signed by Tampa Bay (2 year ELC)
View Single Post
Old
03-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchered View Post
I was a bit shocked to see that Sustr wasn't guaranteed NHL games in his deal. I think that's a big bonus to having a dominant AHL team. If Syracuse were basement dwellers I don't think they attract him without the NHL games guarantee.
You can't guarantee someone NHL games. At least not in their contract. You can have a bonus for NHL games played (as well as points, etc), but that doesn't guarantee the player that he'll be playing in the NHL.

There's only a few things keeping a player in the NHL. The threat of waivers (which doesn't apply here), the GMs word that he'll see NHL games, his performance, and the teams willingness to let the player make mistakes as he grows acustom to the speed, game, etc.

More realistically Sustr looked at Tampa's depth, the quality of life (hard to argue with beaches), and the teams willingness to give him a shot at NHL icetime. And then the quality of their AHL team should he not stick in the NHL all season. This is where teams like Edmonton (Schultz) and Tampa excel. They can afford to allow younger players to step in right away and learn on the fly. If they make mistakes that cost them points, it's not the end of the world like it is for contenders (Pittsburgh, Philly, etc).