View Single Post
Old
03-22-2013, 07:53 PM
major major

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Nichushkin signed a 3 year contract with his hometown Traktor Chelyabinsk. How teams view that may depend on what he says in interviews. Previously, he's said in Russian statements that have been been spun by the Russian media as sounding like he doesn't want to come to the NHL (something like "I don't want to talk about that").

If enough teams pass on him, it may scare off more teams. There are safer picks in the 4-10 range, maybe even 4-15.

But there are teams that may end up with a lottery pick that usually don't, like the Caps or Flyers, who may be more attractive to a Russian and are willing to wait.

If Jarmo is going to swing for the fences rather than play it safe, then he's going to pick Nichushkin over say Erne or Wennberg, but a lot of teams are going to take a prospect who has a good chance of being a decent NHLer over one that might stay in Russia.

With all the Russians players in Columbus, it would be a good situation for a youngster like Nichushkin and much different than when Filatov or Zherdev were here. And staying in Russia and developing 3 years might have been a better strategy for Filatov rather than rushing him. But that's going to be a long, nervous wait to see if he will or won't sign.
I'd agree that if we knew we would get him eventually, having a Russian kid develop a few years in Russia isn't bad, and might be better, as they don't have to deal with the culture shock or living away from home until they are older.

I wonder if Jarmo can meet with Nichushkin, bring some Russian Jackets with him, assess his character and ask him straight up if he wants to play for the Jackets. If so, good, if not, then we don't pick him.

Another concern I have with Nichushkin is that he hasn't demonstrated the elite hockey sense yet. He's been playing in a man's league and scoring highlight reel goals, but highlight reel goals don't make up more than a small part of anyone's value. Can he make his teammates better?