View Single Post
Old
03-22-2013, 09:02 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

vCash: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I would be fine with them going into the playoffs (hopefully) with Kadri, Grabovski and McClement as their centre depth. The Leafs aren't winning the Cup this year, so getting a couple of young pieces to go forward with for a guy we aren't re-signing makes sense to me.
This is pretty much my stance on the matter, which is why I've emphasized the status of contract negotiations. If it's around the deadline and Nonis is confident that he isn't going to be able to re-sign Bozak than I have no problem with trading him for picks/prospects, though it's obvious that we all would rather receive players that will help us now.

I don't think the loss of Bozak for nothing is worth the improved chance of making playoffs down the stretch. The teams who keep pending UFA players who are unlikely to re-sign are usually confident they can make a splash in the playoffs. If Nonis was fairly certain Bozak was going to walk, I would EXPECT him to be traded. Whether it's for futures or current NHLers remains to be seen, but I think trading Bozak is a real possibility.

I have no problem holding onto Bozak depending on the kind of money he's expecting. I'm as eager as everyone else for the Leafs to break the non-playoff streak but we're in no condition to lose assets for nothing. Other than contract negotiations, I suppose the next week and a half of hockey will shed some light based on the position we're in come deadline.