View Single Post
Old
03-23-2013, 01:43 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadzedder View Post
I'm a casual reader of the site. To me it seems that Detroit is stacked with great prospects. I'm curious how you would rank them. Where do you project them to be? Forwards and defense separately. Thanks

Forwards
Sheahan
Ferraro
Nyquist
Tatar
Pulkkinen
Jarnkrok
Frk
Jurco
Tvrdon
Andersson
Anthanasiou
Quine

Defense
Almquist
Sproul
Ouellet
Jensen
Lashoff
Marchenko
Backman
Deyekeser ( if signed)
I honestly think Andersson and Lashoff are the worst guys on that list in terms of potential, only maybe Quine (hard to project) and Almqvist can I argue are worse. But I am not big fans of either guy and never have been, plus I am sky high on Tvrdon should he ever stay healthy. Depends on if you're looking for a here and now, even then those two should be behind people not currently in the show. Total future projections have a way of getting out of hand, the guys already excelling at the pro level deserve a little boost. With that said Lashoff is not excelling at the pro level and really hasn't this is the first time he played solid in Grand Rapids for half a season and he is getting torched on the regular while trying to play above his head. Almqvist is doing some nice things but neither has run away with it and they are in trouble with what is coming in and hunting their jobs.

Forwards

1.) Jarnkrok (PP stud, Hakan talks Zetterberg, for me is kind of a poor mans Backstrom)
2.) Nyquist (was leading the AHL in scoring, very slippery, great hockey IQ, needs more strength and a little more power in his skating)
3.) Tatar (powerful guy, still only 22, needs to improve shot accuracy)
4.) Sheahan (incredibly mature on ice, good in all three zones, very good on special teams, never on the wrong side of the puck and a big body with good speed and a bunch of tools
5.) Andersson (right now, but his skating is still troubling at times, defensively responsible and maybe a good net front guy, if he wants to stay long-term he will have to be)
6.) Ferraro (fast release, aggressive all over the place, great on the pk, and versatile. Restoring a lot of his pre-draft status, kind of a lighter Cleary before Danny's body betrayed him)
7.) Jurco (probably outside of Jarnkrok the most potential on the team in terms of forwards. His skating is improving and his confidence is picking up, great hands as we all know, but a good work ethic according to Wings and Griffins brass, well above some of these others on the protected asset list.)
8.) Frk (takes stupid penalties, but my God what a shot. Doesn't play a soft game either, pretty strong on the puck and lots of to like, fell because of injuries in his draft year not really talent.)
9.) Tvrdon (At 6'2" and 220lbs a gifted skater for that size with great hands, led the WHL in rookie scoring, cannot stay healthy but a ton of talent, will be interesting to see him as a pro, hoping he isn't the second coming of Nestrasil, still high on him.)
10.) Athanasiou (Having a great year, great skater, great hands and hopefully will fill out to match that. A ton to like would like to see him do it in back to back years, but everything about him is encouraging thus far)
11.) Pulkkinen (Not one of my favorites, but was nice to see him finally pick up scoring again over the backhalf. Has worked hard on his defensive game, but that huge shot has a pretty slow release for this side of the pond. Still can be more of a playmaker than pure sniper at times. We shall see a total boom or bust guy
12.) Quine (excellent skater, pretty good vision and looks like he has a build that can still put on more weight. Until he is a pro hard to evaluate, will be a monster in Europe if things don't work out as a NA pro)

Defense

1.) Smith (The points will come, needs to get that half step back he lost this off-season don't really know what happened there, but tough, good at protecting the puck and a good puck mover with jam, probably a #2, maybe he does become a #1, this summer is big for that.)
2.) Ouellet (mature game, coaches best friend, very few mistakes and good for all zones, he is further along in his development than Sproul. Reminds me of Vlasic out in San Jose.)
3.) Sproul (Cannon shot, beast offensively, boarder-line elite skating for a D-man of his size. But he has some work to do defensively and at using his 6'4" 210lbs frame more effectively. Think he is going to be a stud, most potential on the backline, more than even Smith.)
4.) Backman (great two way potential, his offense is really blossomed in the SEL. Crisp passer, doesn't make many mistakes and has picked up a step in his stride.)
5.) Marchenko (Hurt a lot, but the potential is there, playing in the second best league in the world although in limited minutes, he did show off his PP skills, but that will be a tough nut to crack with both Sproul and Jarnkrok coming as right handed point options. Plays physical and doesn't disappoint, vastly underrated by some Wings fans who have not seen him.)
6.) Jensen (WCHA d-man of the year, maybe the best skater in the entire system, really is a treat to watch have no idea why he isn't signed right now, no reason to send him back for a senior season. Don't know if the offense will translate but reminds me of a former Alumni from his university Bret Hedican.)
7.) Almqvist (liked him more than Lashoff in Grand Rapids, has a good stick and is a very good passer, armed with a surprisingly lively shot given his stature, will be tough for him to crack the NHL given some of these guys coming in)
8.) Lashoff (Should be an AHL Captain type and 8th d-man in an organization. Stay at home who can skate, but is prone to poor reads a lot. I know a lot of people think he is a good story this year and he has improved, but he still has a lot of issues, not bad for a free agent, just don't see it and don't think I ever will. Babcock loves him though so that is a big gold star kind of...)

DeKeyser isn't signed but I think he is a better stay at home PK option than Lashoff especially in the future.

Another guy to watch out for is Nicastro, big body that hits and skates well. A good passer, probably Grand Rapids best pairing during the lockout was the five game stretch where Nicastro played with Smith. Chelios sings this kids praises and calls him the strongest D-man in the system along with the most improved over the summer and to start this season.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 03-23-2013 at 01:50 AM.
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote