Thread: Buying a DSLR
View Single Post
Old
03-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Ziggy66

vCash: 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by JwKo18 View Post
So I'm interested in buying a DSLR camera, but I don't really know anything about them, and have no idea where to start. I'll continue my research over the internet, but I want other opinions to try and and find a camera suitable for me. Somethings I wonder are: is Nikon better than Canon? What are specs I should take care to note and should look for and just general info! To be honest, I just want to take some nice looking pictures, so obviously I must spend about a grand to do this.
http://www.dpreview.com/
digital photography review is a great source and has a great forum with sections for both Canon and Nikon information and user reviews.

I personally had used canon DSLRs for quite a while. xt, xsi, 40d, 50d and 5d with the lenses 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 18-55mm kit, 70-200 4L , 17-40 4L and 24-105 4L.

Unfortunatly I had to sell all my canon equipment in order to afford some much needed renovations for my house.

I have currently switched to Nikon and I am using a D90 w/ 50mm 1.8 and nikons 18-105mm lens.

I have just returned from the Banff/Canmore area and have to say I miss my 17-40mm 4L for landscape photography

The nikon and lenses I purchased are great for the casual photographer. I opted to go with the d90 as it has a few more external controls for those who are used to creating their own photos and not using the standard settings located on the dial.

All in all. I believe (so far) that Canon has the superior lenses ( the L catagory and nifty 50s) but for some reason I enjoy the d90s feel and performance. I shot some great snowboarding action shots flawlessly this past week with it and the 18-105 (slower lens) and I liked the results. The landscape/mountain photos just didnt pop like they did with my 17-40 4L lens but I guess that is what photoshop is for

I am rambling now but If you enjoy photography and would like to make it a serious hobby I would suggest paying the extra money and investing in a good camera body like the 60d or d7000 (or is it the d7100?) that gives you more external controls to manipulate instead of pushing through on screen menus which kills time. It also allows you to grow your skill with a better camera. JMO.

http://www.adorama.com/
I bought my d90 kit refurbished (when I got it, I couldnt tell as it looked and functioned brand new) for a low price. Hunt for deals as dslrs value depreciates greatly every year as there is a new model almost every quarter it seems.

Ziggy66 is online now   Reply With Quote