View Single Post
Old
08-06-2006, 11:43 AM
ShadowHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaner View Post
from, www.whl.ca

So looking at that it quite clearly states that if you are on a 50ppl you can only play for that team at the Major Junior Level. However if you want to go to a different league, be it BCHL, US College etc you can still do that.

Since the Chiefs say they have him on their 50PPL, it looks very cut and dry to me.
These rules are ambiguous to say the least! If you look on the WHL site, it also states the following under the PPL link:

A player who is on a WHL teamís List may not play for another WHL team, or attend another WHL team's training camp or rookie camp. However, being a member of a WHL teamís 50 Player Protected List does not restrict a player from playing for, or attending a camp of a non-WHL team. The 50 Player Protected List is used strictly to determine which WHL team holds the playerís rights.
__________________________________________________ ____

This is a huge mess to say the least, but I hope it will open up the eyes of all hockey leagues, including the minors. IMO, there should be more interaction b/w the Canadian & American hockey associations in order to address the issues that situations like this cause. Zoning, residency, the draft, imports, etc.... the 2 countries (and eventually European countries) need to be in sync in order to come up with a solution to avoid future fiascos. With the globalization of hockey these changes should have been started eons ago!!

The outcome I'd like to see (although it'll never happen!!) is the CHL granting the Chiefs a first-round Import Draft pick next year in exchange for Lewis and the mess the league rules have created!! The 3 CHL leagues participate in the same Import Draft, so why not provide some plausible compensation to Spokane.

ShadowHockey is offline   Reply With Quote