Thread: Doug Weight #39
View Single Post
Old
03-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Black Gold Extractor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz, Nugent-Hopkins, Paajarvi, and Gagner may all surpass Doug Weight as players in their own right, and I think we could easily see a scenario where some of their numbers get retired in the distant future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Doubtful.
To be fair, the future isn't written in stone. This season, Hall is already putting up Weight-like numbers at the age of 21. Gagner is now also putting up Weight-like numbers at the same age as when Weight put up his first 70+ point season. Eberle has already finished on the leaderboard last season (15th in both goals and points), the first Oiler to finish top-20 in scoring since Weight himself. I can see our first overalls plus Gagner and Eberle possibly having more career points and greater career longevity.

Weight had an impressive (albeit not spectacular) prime as an Oiler. He broke 80 points three times, was top 20 in points those same years (11th, 20th, and 8th... guess which years), and was 21st in two more times when he just missed being on the leaderboard. He was top 10 in assists four times (5th, 5th, 8th, and 4th) as an Oiler (two more times as a Blue). Over all of his prime years, he was 14th in points and 5th in assists (three-way tie for 15th in points per game at 1.03, 8th in assists per game).

That's pretty tough for anyone to match over a several-year span, but it's not impossible. In another thread, I bet that Hall will finish top 10 in scoring before the age of 25, so I might as well bet that Hall in his prime will be better than 15th in points over a six-year stretch, like Weight.

Last edited by Black Gold Extractor: 03-23-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Black Gold Extractor is offline   Reply With Quote