View Single Post
Old
03-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Jag68Sid87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrifter View Post
This.

Everyone gets the sentiment surrounding Iginla in Calgary. There is an absolute here though and that is a player who is entering a time in his career where traditionally players start to slow down considerably. Yes, there are intangibles, but those same intangibles can be found elsewhere for a lesser price (Morrow).

Let's think about the current circumstances a year from now... Would anyone really give up a top prospect, a roster player and a first for a 37 year old?

Whatever the case, Calgary will never get more for Jarome Iginla than they will right now. They should be in a complete fire sale mode and begin posturing themselves to land a top the draft order in the McDavid draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Iginla always seems to have lost a step. Last year it didn't look like he would come close to 30 goals until he turned it on in the 2nd half.

FACT: In 2005-06, after getting only 67 points, HFBoards was claiming that he lost a step and his best years were behind him.

He's always alternated between 60+ and 80+ point seasons, and he always turns on his goal scoring after 30 games.

So seeing as there's a pattern there, you cannot clearly say that he's 'clearly lost a step'. It's like that thread yesterday saying he's "checked out" when in reality he was playing like 2006 Iginla last night.

He's still got a ton of juice left, so if he isn't getting a top prospect than Calgary should hold on to him. Pittsburgh would still have an upgrade with Cammy, Stemps, or even Tanguay apparently, if Crosby would play well with a playmaker (Tangs also has one of the most accurate wristers in the league).

There's a handful of guys that Calgary can get good assets for, with our own pick being high, to make it a quick rebuild that Jarome can stick around for. IMO we have enough assets to move that we shouldn't be that desperate to trade him.
The problem is, we have clearly seen in the past that it's simply not the Flames' style to trade roster players for strictly futures, especially not multiple times at one trade deadline. I realize EVERYTHING POINTS to it happening this year, but I will believe it when I see it. The organization has always been pretty adamant about the full-on rebuild NOT being their philosophy.

So yeah, I could definitely see Iginla being a part of their 'retooling'. What I can't see is them selling all the vets who have significant trade value for only futures, and the whole 'setting up for the McDavid' draft seems as far from their minds as anything.

I think the most interesting aspect of the Iginla rumors and situation is what it means for the Flames moving forward. Will this signal a new way of thinking for this franchise? Or will this be perhaps the exception to everything they stand for? Deal Iginla but keep everybody else and look to add more pieces?

I'm fascinated to see how this ends up. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Iginla staying in Calgary, followed by a trade to LA, then a trade to Vancouver and lastly a trade somewhere else.