View Single Post
Old
03-23-2013, 04:07 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
The problem is, we have clearly seen in the past that it's simply not the Flames' style to trade roster players for strictly futures, especially not multiple times at one trade deadline. I realize EVERYTHING POINTS to it happening this year, but I will believe it when I see it. The organization has always been pretty adamant about the full-on rebuild NOT being their philosophy.

So yeah, I could definitely see Iginla being a part of their 'retooling'. What I can't see is them selling all the vets who have significant trade value for only futures, and the whole 'setting up for the McDavid' draft seems as far from their minds as anything.

I think the most interesting aspect of the Iginla rumors and situation is what it means for the Flames moving forward. Will this signal a new way of thinking for this franchise? Or will this be perhaps the exception to everything they stand for? Deal Iginla but keep everybody else and look to add more pieces?

I'm fascinated to see how this ends up. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Iginla staying in Calgary, followed by a trade to LA, then a trade to Vancouver and lastly a trade somewhere else.
Flames fans are, for the most part, signed off on a rebuild at this point.

Flames fans were never delusional and never was management. It wasn't the time then, a 10th place team can still go the other way and if you don't believe that then you shouldn't even be in sports. I would be ashamed if my team blew it up in 10th place. I think that's an absolute disgraceful thing to even suggest and so do a lot of Flames fans and management.

This is an entirely different situation. This IS the appropriate time to signal to a rebuild. It's getting close to the deadline and Calgary is close to last place. This isn't a situation that Calgary has been in before, so I wouldn't compare the Regehr trade or anything else to the situation that Calgary is currently facing.

EDIT: As for setting up for McDavid, I really don't see Calgary in the basement for that long. It's not gonna be an Oilers thing. The Oilers had their 1st picks, and guys like Horcoff, Smid, Hemsky, to carry them outta the basement. Calgary has Glencross who's on a 40 goal pace, Bartschi, Backlund, we'll still have some of our good wingers, probably one of J-bo or Gio, a guy like Drouin or MacKinnon hopefully, and none of that includes the assets that we would get back in trades. That's a much more solid core than the Oilers had to work with IMO, even without including the assets we get back in a trade. I think this rebuild will be pretty brief.

Last edited by GetThePuckOut: 03-23-2013 at 04:16 PM.