Old
03-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Lou View Post
Maybe everyone around here is too young to remember that our "1st line" RW in 2003 (playing with Gomez and Elias) was......Grant Marshall, the owner of a career-high of 15 goals in a season. I do believe that team went pretty far in the playoffs?

The term "interchangeable flock of forwards" should ring a bell for all the old-timers (talk about a back-handed compliment, but I digress), but this is exactly the Devils formula for success. Find players that fit the system we're playing, and place them into positions/lines/roles that they are most likely to succeed in, and profit.

Essentially, it's not the actual player, it's his skill-set that is important. Lou is using his coach's own experiences with the player to augment his own opinion of his skills, strengths and weaknesses. Masterful use of resources, and one of the big reasons these moves usually work out well for us.

Oh, and RG, tell D'Ags to shave that beard before he kisses Lou's hand.
The Devils Cup teams were all about finding a player who was the best for his role, not necessarily packing the team with All-Stars. Every player on those teams had a role, knew his role, and executed his role to perfection. I think it's a good thing that we have a team that's kind of like that again. We have the quality role players, and we have that depth when everybody is healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
I love this little trades with Lou because it's moves like these when he's at his best.

Sykora, Ponikarovsky, Loktionov, Carter, Bernier.
I love having the old wheeling and dealing Lou back. Random little trades that end up having a big impact.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote