View Single Post
Old
03-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Flamester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
First of all I didn't mean that as an insult to the Oilers. But I think the guys that we leave behind; such as Glencross who's still seemingly improving, one of J-Bo or Gio, Brodie, maybe one of Tangs or Stemps, Hudler, Cervenka (hope we get him re-signed), that's a much better core than what Oilers hit the bottom with.

Not to mention, Oilers never really had a firesale. Calgary can get decent return for Iginla, Gio/J-Bo, Stemps, Cammy, even Stajan is playing well and will warrant a return. That's 5 potential returns with hopefully a couple close to NHL ready prospects thrown in.

It just looks like a stronger core, with or without a firesale. Edmonton had to throw their kids to the wolves a little bit, and the best players they had to work with were each other. Say we get Drouin, he's got Glencross, Bartschi, Backlund, Tanguay, he's already got so much to work with and can be sheltered if necessary.

Another thing worth mentioning is that Feaster is very aggressive during free agency. He'll definitely sign some guys, like he did with Hudler; that was a great addition that allowed us to trade other wingers without falling into the abyss. Free agency will improve our team, while making our players expendable in trades.

So due to enormous quantity of potential returns, aggressive free agent signings, and still a decent core left behind, I just don't see Calgary falling into the abyss the way that other teams have.
the only veterans i want to stay from this current roster are giodano, glencross, and hudler. stepniak, cammy, and tanguay can bring a pretty good return. bouwmeester, Iginla, and Kipper will each bring back a first round pick no question