View Single Post
03-23-2013, 05:56 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
definitely pass on Ribero. Ditto for Roy, like his game, but he's another player more fragile than rice paper. Leafs have to stay away from injury prone players. Talk of Morrow, Clowe etc is disturbing, these guys can help a playoff team that needs depth, not a team in the midst of a rebuild, acquiring said players is a waste of assets IMO.
Considering Derek Roy is only 29 years old, and Ryane Clowe is is only 30 years old himself, I wouldn't balk at their acquisitions.

Yes, Clowe has "slowed" down and lacks general foot speed to be an effective Top 6 winger, but he's a playoff warrior and brings some intangibles and grit to a team in a playoff hunt.

He'll provide that for years to come and a guy like that is extremely valuable in a tough playoff series. But with that said, and recent indication of the "high pricetag" on Clowe, I would be very hesitant to pay a significant price for a 45-55 point Power Forward.

Roy on the other hand has the skill set and capabilities to give a Phil Kessel more space on the ice despite his "soft" style due to his stature. Bozak's skill set isn't as nearly respected on ice as Derek Roy's are and you would see quite the difference of spacing for Phil Kessel when he lines up beside someone of Roy's caliber.

Again, I'd rather spend assets on someone like Paul Stastny, but thats just me.

Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
A bit surprising.. would have thought they'd want to reserve some cap space for future movement. Maybe they're planning on rolling Backstrom/Ribiero as a 1/2, then shopping Laich.

Brooks Laich is a big body that can play Center.

Wouldn't absolutely surprise me to see Nonis kick some tires and see what sort of market is there.

We all know Dave is looking for a big #2C that can play two-ways

I don't think he's an improvement on anything we have, other than stature.