Old
03-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
So overrated by Rangers fans. He brought nothing that can't be replaced easily. Doesn't produce offense at all. 1 assist in 30 games.

Fast skater still, which is why fans think he's useful. Still good at faceoffs. His penalty killing is also overrated One of the reasons we are 8% points lower than last year imo. Can't block shots, can't throw the body, just overall a useless player.

I know some rangers fans will disagree with me here because he gives effort every game, but at this point anyone can produce more than him pretty much, unless it's stu bickel.
I wouldn't say that Halpern was one of the reasons why the Rangers' PK isn't as good this season. I'd say a legit reason, as it has been beaten to death but it's true, is the loss of the players in the Nash trade and Prust and Fedotenko walking. All those players were PK'ers and were good bottom-six'ers. Most of the Rangers' depth from last season is now gone.

It's a good claim for Montreal. Like Lavoie said before the Sabres-Habs game, Halpern's going to be playing a lot for Montreal and was claimed to help the team in two struggling areas: the PK and at faceoffs. To top it off he's played there before and he's a leader and well-liked. Wish Buffalo could have claimed him.

I do think the Rangers must be up to something though, as they usually are this time of year. Doesn't make much sense to waive a bottom-six PK'er and good faceoff-man when your team hasn't been the best in any of those areas. Boyle's better but still, Halpern wasn't a bad player for the Rangers. Also doesn't make sense Nokelainen was sent down by the Habs when he offers a lot that Halpern does (even a right-handed shot) if they were looking for someone to help improve those areas. Would've thought Nokelainen would never had been waived if that was the case but they must have liked Halpern.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote