View Single Post
Old
03-24-2013, 02:36 AM
Sergei Shirokov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
I guess we have to get something clear between us in this conversation......I am a Chicago Wolves fan...season ticket holder for over 17 years. I don't give a CRAP about the Vancouver Canucks other than who do they have they can send here to make the Wolves better.
Having said that as you can figure out I've seen the guys you mentioned (except Tommernes) play up close and personal, so I think I'm well qualified to speak on their ability to play in the AHL.

Both Grenier and Mallet have limited ability to play in the AHL right now and that's why they aren't there and I'm sure that Chicago knows what it is doing with them by sending them to the ECHL...DARREN ARCHIBALD ring a bell???????? He was totally lost here last year and went down there ,played and where is he now??? It isn't always about the numbers but learning how to play the game along with how to be a pro, both on and off the ice.
As for Price sitting the first 2 games..there is such a thing as adjustment time....plus practicing with team before playing.
Lain played ok last night....you can't expect these guys to come to Chicago and be put on the first line and first pp unit playing 30 minutes a game right out of jrs or college.....ain't gonna happen. Hell Morgan Reilly played in his first Pro Game last night for Toronto and was on either the 2nd or 3rd pairing for them, and I guarantee he has a bigger upside/potential then all of the guys mentioned by you combined.
Joe Cannata is a BACK UP goalie...he's not going to get a ton of time simple as that, if not for Lack getting hurt he wouldn 't even be here.
Rodin and Andersson have been injured for some time now so Andersson being scratched for "some reason" as you said is a very naive comment. In fact the guy can't stay healthy to save his life.
In closing please refrain from making blanket statements about the Wolves without fact to back up your comments and just ask a question. I'm sure myself and others would be happy to answer them. Oh 1 more thing...Vancouver sought out the Wolves for an affiliation, not the other way around. Just like now, the Wolves have fielded calls from 8 NHL clubs about affiliating with them next year....gotta be a reason for that. Can't imagine all these teams would be calling if Chicago was so bad.

One last thing....you have to remember that playing time doesn't always equate to ability. Having control over the team or players isnt going to make them play any better. Drafting better would go a long way towards better developing players. I have a mule that i can control,own and run everyday but that doesn't mean it will win the Kentucky Derby. You want your prospects to develop??? Tell Mike Gillis to start drafting better ones then.
Chicago isnt bad at all. Infact its one of the best AHL affilates in the league. Depending on what you are looking for that is.

I'm glad you cleared this up, as it allows me to go back to my original point.

We want our prospects to get time to play in the AHL and gain experience. The Wolves want to win at all costs and present a winning product to the fans. So that understandably leave them in the position of signing the veterans they think are the absolute best they can get. Yeah Anton Rodin (for example) may not be as good as Brett Sterling or Darren Haydar. But he can still play in this league on a night to night basis in a 2nd or 3rd line role. With the Wolves, due to the veterans they have. That isn't the case.

And that's one of the reasons we want to move. So we can control our own farm system and give our prospects the opportunities they may not get under a seperately owned team like Chicago. Do I blame Chicago for not putting our prospects first priority? Absolutely not, it makes perfect sense.

But for us we want to have our prospects getting more opportunity. Like another example. Adam Polasek played for the Wolves last year for most of the year I do believe, this year due to depth he was in the ECHL. Did he regress? I don't think so as a developing player that is striving to get better. The Wolves just brought in some veterans, like Mullen and Joslin. Exc. And with Andersson coming in that stole his spot. Where as in Abbotsford we would look to get Polasek in the line-up and playing. Same goes for Yann Sauve.

It's nothing against the Wolves and there franchise or fans or whatever. It is just us wanting to move closer for a number of reasons. Prospect development being one of them.