View Single Post
Old
12-24-2003, 07:32 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
You solve this problem, you end the playoff drought, IMO. This team has brought players in that have fallen on their faces. To take a line from Rodney Dangerfield, it's like being a one legged man in an a ss kicking contest. It seems that everyone season there is one insurmountable onstacle that stands in our way all season long. And it usually comes at the hands of Free Agents brought in here to lead the Rangers offensive onslaught. These players come in and become offensively sterile. Fluery, Lindros, Nedved (every other season), Hlavac, Kovalev, Carter, Dvorak. etc. etc. I think if you can get players that wants to be here, and are consistent in their output, we'll find ourselves watching this team well into May.
I disagree with some of your post. Yes, there is obviously some kind of "Blueshirt effect" that sucks the talent out of any players from another team who dons the Rangers jersey, the only exceptions being Mark Messier and Adam Graves if memory serves me correctly.

But despite the inconcistent production up front, the Rangers' main problem hasn't been scoring goals, it's giving them up. Kovalev never should have been re-acquired. Even when he was productive for the Penguins, he was always lax in his defensive responsibilities. The Rangers look a little better defensively because Dunham continually has to stand on his head to save games, but they're not much better in their own end than they have been in years past, despite Renney and Sather's talk of a "system." Yeah, right...

Kovalev is the kind of player the Rangers have been too fond of and acquired too many times--a speedy, fancy goal-scorer. The management is too blind by the fact that the players who have done the most for them are gritty players who get their nose dirty in front of the net and in the corners. Barnaby, Simon, Holik. They should be using players like THIS as the blueprint, not players like Kovalev and Bure.