View Single Post
Old
03-24-2013, 01:24 PM
calicapsfan
NFA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the caps as buyers regularly trade assets for rentals that often walk for nothing at the end of the season. you get these players to building your team up for the playoff stretch and the playoffs. we never complain about that.

here though, for some reason two seasons in a row there is a chunk of caps fans, many the same iirc, that want the caps to do the opposite. the seller role is for teams out of the playoffs who trade off their pending ufa's for to get something to improve the team in the future.

playoff teams and teams with a legit shot at the playoffs dont sell. they dont sell their best players for damn sure.

if the trade ribeiro bunch are convinced that the caps are out of it and have no playoff shot, trading ribeiro makes perfect sense. i dont see that as the case.

with the number of 7 and 8 seeds that have made the finals in recent years, i would think fewer fans would buy into to the idea that just making the playoffs isnt a goal that can lead to something. particularly when you consider the caps abject failure as a top 2 seed in the playoffs.
This all makes sense except for two points:

First, The Caps chances of making the playoffs are still very slim, really nonexistent absent a prolonged win streak. There's no prize for being closer but missing the playoffs. So it is better to be a 14th or 15th seed than a 9th or 10th. Making a push now that still has a high likelihood of failure and keeping valuable UFAs means losing assets and possible returns and trading a top 5 pick for a 12-15 pick. It's only worth doing if you think they can contend.

Second, the Caps' abject failure as a top-2 seed looks exactly like their many failures as a 7, 8, 9 seed over the years. This particular Caps team doesn't look like a contender to me regardless of their seeding. We're Caps fans so we have hope after two wins where they were outshot by 10+ but had a ridiculous shooting %. 7 games against a team with real D? I don't see it.