View Single Post
Old
03-24-2013, 02:56 PM
yotesreign

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
God ya. Just a glorious age to be a fan, much less a kid growing up with it in the late 50's & 60's. You pretty much knew every player, rosters steady & consistent. Teams playing one another home & away with far greater frequency of course. No helmets, no rink board advertising, no clutter or commercialization really, no names on the backs of jerseys. You knew who guys were by numbers alone.
I hear ya. I grew up on the south side in the 60's listening to Lloyd Pettit & Jack Brickhouse & Jim West (early 70s) doing the Black Hawks games on radio (back when they were the "Black Hawks") and going to every game my dad or uncles would take me to. Did it bother me back then that there were only 6 teams? Heck no; I had mine.

And it was easier to know when the Wings or Habs or Rangers were coming to town who (specific players) were coming. Not only were there fewer goalies and fewer skaters in the league, they didn't move from one team to another as much or at least I don't remember that.

I've always enjoyed hockey, but that didn't prevent me from moving to a city that had no NHL team in the late 70s. I'm glad the Jets moved here; and I'll be sorry to see the Coyotes leave. If they're not here next season, I'll have to buy the Center Ice package so I can watch them on tv. Heck Center Ice for a whole year costs less than I spent going to two games. I might even go back to buying ASU football tickets if they leave; seeing as them leaving will free up about $4000 a year for me.