View Single Post
Old
03-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Grounded Star
HUT Rookie Sensation

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki11joy View Post
Agreed, HUT has devolved into an arms race to grab the same NHL superstars and score the same 2 or 3 goals every game (the backhand-forehand move, D-man slapshot off a face off, or top of the circle wrist shot with a 90+ shooting player that goalies can never stop). And because everyone rolls four lines full of superstars, playing actual hockey is more difficult and you're forced to use the same cheeky exploits just to keep up. Games have become boring and predictable.

Just for the hell of it, I started playing regular online versus play and it's completely different. I still see the occasional backhand-forehand move that exploits the dumb goalie AI, but the games are more varied and fun to play. And because no one has a roster full of 90+ overall players, you can actually try different stuff like cycling plays and dump-and-chase, which you'll almost have to with your 4th line. I managed to get a 10 game winning streak one time from strong puck possession and cycles that opened up all sorts of plays I'd never get in HUT.

The idea of HUT appealed to me as a sort of Be a GM-lite without having to deal with all of the complexity. It's unfortunate that NHL 13 simplified it too far.
I feel like most of the problem you're talking about could be helped by improving the quality of the tournaments in the game, or finding another way to draw people to play the online ones. Its one of the things I like about the team-specific tournaments, you gotta usually dress a real 4th line and 3rd d-pair, unfortunately finding a match in tournaments this year is brutal as far as I've found.

I love playing teams who have themes, I'm working on theming my second line now, as I have team Canada's nash-toews-Richards, and the oilers kid line, then I'm gonna try to theme my 4th line and my d pairs similarly, makes team building more fun at least.

I wish there was a third decent forward wearing number 4 so I could put them with lecavalier and hall