View Single Post
03-25-2013, 12:35 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I'd agree that if we knew we would get him eventually, having a Russian kid develop a few years in Russia isn't bad, and might be better, as they don't have to deal with the culture shock or living away from home until they are older.

I wonder if Jarmo can meet with Nichushkin, bring some Russian Jackets with him, assess his character and ask him straight up if he wants to play for the Jackets. If so, good, if not, then we don't pick him.

Another concern I have with Nichushkin is that he hasn't demonstrated the elite hockey sense yet. He's been playing in a man's league and scoring highlight reel goals, but highlight reel goals don't make up more than a small part of anyone's value. Can he make his teammates better?
I don't agree with your assessment of Nichushkin's hockey sense. I think it's extremely high, and I don't believe for a second that anything on the ice will prevent him from becoming an NHL star in the future.

The star of this year's draft in hockey sense will be Jonathan Drouin. He's got the type of off-the-charts IQ on the ice that anyone who's spent more than a day in hockey will fantasize about. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins had the best sense since Crosby, and Drouin makes Nugent-Hopkins look like the remedial class.

Nichushkin's biggest issue will be whether the KHL really wants to make a run at keeping him over here. They haven't had a star prospect like this in a while, someone who can excel in several facets of the game.