View Single Post
Old
03-25-2013, 01:42 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
People thinking he would transition smoothly from the NCAA to a dependable top-4 guy in his rookie season in the NHL were fooling themselves. And sure, he was great in the AHL (and so was Ebs...), but that was for 1/3 of a season against much weaker competition. That said, along with Hall, he's one that I'm least worried about. I think he'll be a fantastic offensive defenseman, but it'll probably take another season or two.
Agreed. From watching him in the AHL it was clear that his offense was on another level. His PP production basically carried over, but after that there's nothing to write home about.

At even strength he's a liability with top-4 responsibility. He can neither move the puck out of the zone with any consistency or assertiveness, nor can he defend in his zone with any efficacy.

At this point he's an average bottom-pairing defenseman at even-strength with extra-ordinary powerplay point production abilities.

Like I said in another thread (with heavy criticism) - he's basically at this point a Joe Corvo for us.

I feel if he can develop an effective offensive game at ES and become even an average defender - then the comparisons to guys like Tomas Kaberle and Christian Ehrhoff can begin. At the very best, if he can become just an undeniable ES force offensively (like he was in the AHL) - a Dan Boyle type.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote