View Single Post
Old
08-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
I love the Chipchura pick, I'd still take him over Schremp or Wolski. I don't think the book was really in on Meszaros. Although a lot of people recommended taking him here, there were a lot of doubts about parts of his game that have subsequently been proven wrong. Green was my favourite on draft day, and I nabbed him in my FHL, but I have no complaints that a co-favourite like Chipchura was taken. Mostly, if I recall correctly, I just assumed he'd be gone before we picked.

The Kostitsyn pick wasn't my preference on draft day, but all the hype and sizzle surrounding it made me satisfied pretty quickly afterwards. Alas, for that. In re-retrospect, my original favourites like Brown and Getzlaf would indeed have been better. Not that the book is closed on Kostitsyn yet or anything, but clearly he's behind the curve.

Anyway, I don't think it's very meaningful to look at your picks in hindsight relative to who else was available. The bottom line is whether or not the guys we did pick turn out. If Kostitsyn makes it as a viable source of 2nd line offense (or better) then we will have made a good pick. If Chipchura makes it as a solid character 3rd line center (or better) then we will have made a good pick. It's more about getting a player who pans out the way you wanted him to than about getting the player who turns out to have been the best player available at that spot in the draft. There's no way that even the best scouts in the business can get you the latter, it's just rolling the dice. But good scouting should maximize the odds that you get the former.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote