View Single Post
Old
03-25-2013, 12:50 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
He's a rookie. You brought up Gudbranson in another thread, and about how he's getting eaten alive. So was Hedman for his first 2-3 seasons. Defenseman take time to develop, and he'll get there, I think. I don't think he'll ever have a Pronger or Lidstrom-like shutdown game, but he has the skill set to at least become someone who can keep his head above water at EV, and get the majority of his points on the PP, and being a damn good PP QB at that. I'm not a clairvoyant, so we'll see; but that's my opinion.
I agree 100% with you - and there's nothing wrong with him topping out like that if he's someone that came to us for absolutely free.

Guys like Kaberle and Ehrhoff have roles on good teams - as long as they're not playing above their heads at even strength.

Kaberle was a second pairing defenseman paired with defensively-capable Dmitri Yushkevich on the competitive Leafs teams of the early-2000's and shone in that role. Big point producer BOTH at ES and PP, and never looked out of place as a defender.

Ehrhoff was a 2nd pairing defenseman for Vancouver in it's 1-2 years atop the League standings. He was sheltered on the second pairing while Hamhuis-Bieksa-Edler saw the heavier minutes. His biggest forte was point production and he shone in that role without getting too heavily exposed defensively.

Schultz is going to be the perfect offensive component to our 2nd pairing IMO - important piece to keep around. But unless we do something to address our top pairing we're in trouble.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote