View Single Post
Old
03-25-2013, 01:56 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I'm thinking Housley is trying to parlay his coaching job at the 2013 WJC into a higher profile job this upcoming season and didn't want to commit to another year at the helm of the WJC squad. He really doesn't have much coaching experience and did a fantastic job in his only high profile role to date so he may also be afraid to tarnish his crowning achievement so far by returning if the 2014 squad were to flame out. He's been very vocal about his desire to coach in the NHL and I think he's going to be very dogged in his pursuit this summer of a job in the NCAA/AHL/NHL ranks.

Lucia actually said on the conference call that he volunteered to coach last year's WJC squad but USAH thought he was a better fit for 2014. I'm fine with the choice as I've really learned to not think too much into these choices (although I'm still vehemently against the NTDP coaches getting these gigs) after the success of a guy like Housley and the failure of a guy like Blais (after the gold).

If it wasn't Housley, I was expecting the coach to be Mark Osiecki as he's paid his dues on three of the last four staffs (2 golds and 1 bronze). I'm good with Lucia but I still would like to see Vellucci or Osiecki get their shot, along with the return of Eaves.

It's funny, Badgers were trying to run Eaves out of town after the team couldn't win a game missing their two best players. Now they are WCHA champs and the noise has quieted down a bit. Osiecki also is a stud coach. He was a big loss to the Badgers coaching staff.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote